How to remove malware from a Mac
- If the app is open, check the name of the app.
- Move or close the app window.
- Open the Utilities folder (Command-Shift-U).
- Open Activity Monitor.
- Choose All Processes.
- Go to the Utilities folder in the Applications folder and launch Activity Monitor.
- Look for an app called MacDefender, MacSecurity or MacProtector. Or look for the name of the app (from Step 1).
- Click the Quit Process button (top-left) and select Quit.
- Quit Activity Monitor.
- Open the Applications folder and locate the app (called MacDefender, MacSecurity, MacProtector, or some other name).
- Drag the unwanted app to the Trash. Empty the trash.
Malware also installs a login item in your account in System Preferences. Removal of the login item is not necessary, but you can remove it by following the steps below.
- Open System Preferences, select Accounts, then Login Items
- Select the name of the app you removed in the steps above ex. MacDefender, MacSecurity, MacProtector
- Click the minus button